An Estimator at AJ Virgilio Construction reviews and analyzes the plans, specifications, addendums, vendor proposals, subcontractor proposals, relevant construction documents to prepare labor, materials, equipment, costs and durations, preparing estimates for bidding earthwork, bridges, highways, drainage, sewer, water and utility construction projects. This position is full time employment potentially leading to a long successful career.
- Requires a working knowledge of the construction industry.
- Education; BS in Civil Engineering or an equivalent relevant Degree is preferred,
- Successful work experience may be substituted for degree requirements.
- Minimum of Two years’ experience as an Estimator, and previously worked a minimum of five years as a supervisor in the Construction field.
- The Estimator must be knowledgeable, articulate, self-assured, and personable.
- A team player, works well with others, and can effectively delegate tasks and manage others.
- Must have good mathematical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Attend Pre-Bid meetings and site walks.
- Reviews plans, specifications, addendums, for constructability, identify discrepancies in advance of the construction bid.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to prepare Pre-bid RFIs and tracks the RFIs.
- Evaluates bidding risks and strategies, analyzes alternative solutions, and construction methods to increase competitiveness.
- Review design options and recommend the best solution based on cost, quality, schedule, constructability, and/or availability of materials and vendors’ products within the bids plans and specifications.
- Prepare RFIs as required and maintain a RFI log.
- Posses the ability to work with Microsoft Office, knowledge of or ability to learn Estimating Software, AutoCAD & GPS programs.
- Maintain the approved Bid List, and weekly update the list.
- Review post bid award data and provide a summary of the bid results delta, won or lost.
- Meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Review AJV Construction Company’s historical bid data, purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity reports, actual costs for labor, equipment and materials to determine real unit cost for a work item with appropriate mark up.
- Prepare detailed cost analysis by estimating equipment, material and labor required for each project.
- Recognize Safety issues and changed site conditions, requiring a change order.
- Prepare costs of Change Orders and maintain a tracking log for Change Orders.
- Provides the Project Manager and Superintendents with the reasons for the bid methodology behind the construction work items and to assist them with job challenges.
- Track & Review WIP and Committed Cost Report throughout projects in progress to provide “Real World” analysis of the estimating and bid data.
- Continuing education and reading current literature regarding the construction industry, is encouraged.
- Cause all company projects to be bid and operated safely, and ethically, and maintain the company’s high quality standing in the industry and community.
- Full time position.
- Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Apply for our Estimator position. We aim to promote communication throughout the company; this can be your chance to work directly with senior leadership for feedback and collaboration. Come join!